Thursday, March 26, 2009

Survivor, Wedding Reception: The Courtesy Basket

This week, a brief musing on one of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind. The restroom courtesy basket. It's far better than an actual rest room attendant, which always sort of freaks me out. I feel like I need to make a point of bringing a dollar with me to the ladies room every time, and how about the ones that don't really do anything but sit there? I digress. The courtesy basket is like your favorite grandma's giant purse that always has exactly what you need.
Gum? Why yes. What goes better with an open bar than *Trident?
Bobby pin? Sure thing. I thought I felt a hair out of place.
Tylenol? You betcha. Why not get started beating that hangover early?
I think my favorite courtesy basket item is the Tums or Rolaids they always put in there. Does this say more about the food or about our ability to control ourselves in an all-you-can-eat cocktail hour buffet situation? I've never needed antacid at an event myself, but it's nice to know it's there.
On the subject of courtesy baskets, I'm all pro. Really, I can't think of a single con. I mean seriously, free tampons? Especially if the venue you've chosen provides one for you. If they don't, definitely put one together. It's a good job to give one of your bridesmaids, maybe the one that just missed out on the coveted maid-of-honor position. It makes your guests feel welcome and that you care about their needs during the course of your wedding. It's a long day for everyone, and chances are at around 9:00pm or so, someone's going to need some hand lotion or hairspray. I once saw a woman beat a wicked case of static cling at a Christmas party with just a bit of Jergen's on the stockings - it was amazing.
Some of the most popular items to put in the basket... these will be specific to the ladies room. For the men's I'm guessing, some Zantac, aspirin and the latest issue of Playboy, I don't know.
  • Emery boards - a snaggy broken nail can kill an evening.
  • Hairspray - not just for hair, can also stop stocking runs.
  • Feminine products - go for a variety pack on this one...
  • Pain killers - OTC products only please!
  • Deodorant - I never really understood this one. How smelly are you going to get? Opt for the spray kind, it's a little less gross.
  • Breath mints, gum or mouthwash - I say skip the mouthwash, unless you plan on putting a bunch of dixie cups in there. Tic Tacs work the best.
  • Clear nail polish - again, for stockings. I don't think anyone is giving themselves a manicure during your reception, and if they are... you hired the wrong band!
  • Hand lotion - moisture is our friend.
  • Tissues - sometimes people cry, but also the most popular wedding months are smack in the middle of allergy season.
  • Q-Tips - again, I'm not sure. I'm going to say makeup application.
  • Band-Aids - For buffet table mishaps and carving board slip ups.
  • Sewing kit - some people care when a button falls off. For me, if nothing's hanging out, I'm waiting until Monday to take care of that one.
You can be as creative as you want with this little tidbit of planning. You know your guests better than I do. Also, you know what you would want to have on hand, but don't expect to get any of these items back at the end of the party (except maybe the deodorant). It's free stuff. You put it out there, and people will take it. The upside is, they will think you are extra cool and classy for having given them the opportunity to do so.
*any mention of specific products does not constitute an endorsement of said products by SingerAimNYC... except for Tic Tacs.

2 comments:

  1. Safety pins are nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can be invaluable!! I can't believe I forgot to add them in. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete