Tuesday, June 30, 2009

I've Still Got "Thriller" Stuck in my Head.

On Saturday some friends of mine threw a party for which I did the unthinkable... I DJ'd, well, MP3J'd. I have to admit, it was really fun. My husband and I brought two laptops, the sound system for our band and some crazy disco lights we were given by a past client to a friend's barn, which was transformed into a rustic, but posh, dance hall. I got an opportunity to dance, which I never get to do, but I still sang every song (as loud as I could) along with the tracks. It was an amazing moment for everyone to cut loose and forget about things for a night.
Coming just two days after the sudden death of a man who could best be described as a legend in his own time, this party gave me a chance to pay tribute to Michael Jackson, whose music has been influential throughout my life. I haven't gotten enough of an opportunity to play MJ's hits live in the past few years. Although, I think that will be changing. Three of my upcoming event clients have asked for tribute sets to the King of Pop at their parties. I'm sad that it took his death for people to rediscover his contribution to the soundtrack of all of our lives, but at the same time thrilled to honor Michael Jackson's music in any way I can. In the next few weeks and months the events surrounding Michael Jackson's death will be scrutinized and publicized. Society will, no doubt, be as fascinated by MJ in death as we were in life.
That being said, I'm not going to talk about MJ as a tragic figure. I'm not going to talk about plastic surgery or odd behavior or accusations. I'm not going to postulate on the cause of his death. I'm just going to post my Michael Jackson tribute playlist and let the discussion about his life be one about his music.
I trimmed my list down to one solid hour of the songs that meant the most to me and, of course, kept the dance floor packed - for decades.
  1. Thriller - Thriller, 1982
  2. I Want You Back - Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5, 1969
  3. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough - Off the Wall, 1979
  4. Billie Jean - Thriller, 1982
  5. Black or White - Dangerous, 1991
  6. ABC - ABC (The Jackson 5), 1970
  7. Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground) - Destiny (The Jacksons), 1979
  8. Wanna be Startin' Somethin' - Thriller, 1982
  9. Beat It - Thriller, 1982
  10. The Way You Make Me Feel - Bad, 1987
  11. The Love You Save - ABC (The Jackson 5), 1970
  12. Rock With You - Off the Wall, 1979
  13. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing) - Thriller, 1982
  14. Off the Wall - Off the Wall, 1979
  15. Who's Lovin' You - Diana Ross Presents The Jackson 5, 1969
We interspersed this playlist throughout the night in three song sets.
I can think of some tracks to add, what about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment